These sourdough discard tortilla recipe are one of my favorite things to make with my sourdough discard. Now that I have been making my own tortillas I can't go back to buying them from the store.
1. Ingredients: You'll need sourdough discard recipe, flour (such as all-purpose flour or a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour), olive oil, water, and salt.
2. Mixing the dough: In a mixing bowl, combine the sourdough discard, flour, olive oil, and salt. Gradually add water while mixing until you have a soft and pliable dough. Adjust the amount of water or flour as needed until you achieve the right consistency.
3. Resting the dough: Allow the dough to rest for at least 30 minutes to an hour. This will help the flour hydrate and the gluten develop, making it easier to roll out the tortillas.
4. Shaping and rolling: Divide the dough into 8 small portions and shape them into balls. On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out each ball into a thin, round tortilla shape. If needed, dust the dough with a little flour to prevent sticking.
5. Cooking the tortillas: Heat a dry skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, place a tortilla on the skillet and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned with some char marks.
6. Storing and reheating: Once the tortillas are cooked, stack them on a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm and moist. You can store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply warm them in a skillet or microwave for a few seconds.
110g sourdough discard
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 gram salt
In a mixing bowl, combine the sourdough discard, flour, olive oil, water, and salt. You may need to add more water if the dough feels too dry.
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it for a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Let dough rest for 30-60 minutes.
Divide the dough into 8 smaller portions and shape them into balls.
Roll out each ball into a thin round tortilla using a rolling pin.
Heat a dry skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Place the rolled-out tortilla onto the hot surface and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
Repeat the process for the remaining dough balls.
*This post contains affiliate links, when clicked through to the site and a purchase is made I make a small commission at no cost to you! Thanks for the support!